Sunday, September 20, 2009

'I prize myself as being a human being'

Caster Semenya's public humiliation has touched people of all races, creeds and genders across the world, but for one South African, Caster's pain has been hers too.
Sally Gross, however, has a better idea than most - because, like the young Limpopo athlete, Gross is intersexed. And she has lived through the ostracism, confusion and denial of the condition by others.
Gross has ambiguous genitalia.
"I don't know how it feels to be a woman. I don't know how it feels to be a man. I feel like me, and that's what's important."
Aged 56, Gross is at the forefront of intersex activism in the country and is the founder of the lobby group Intersex South Africa. She also works for the Religious Land Claims Commission.
Complete Article: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment